Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Fifth Element?

LoveLife

I think I am getting in the habit of writing story inspired posts. Whether, its a movie, photograph, book or a song; It's art. And all art tells a story. We as human beings are none other than stories. Some being more interesting, famous or memorable than others. Still stories of love. Stories of life...

That brings me to another lovely story I observed in Luc Besson's The Fifth Element. First of all, I am an authentic "Luc-Fanboy". The art direction, as gorgeous as Milla Jovovich herself, provided by Jean Giraud (Moebius) and Jean-Claude Mézières. The costumes and music, as sexy as Mr. Willis himself, provided by none-other than the French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, who also designed the now infamous Madonna Cone-Bra.

I observed some lovely thoughts in the film; First of all that Man has so many machines that produce death, but only man can produce life. Second, Man has so many mahcines that make hate, but needs a man to love. Of how supreme evil can only by conquered by true love.

Some remarkable thoughts on the Sci-fi front as well...
Of how man imagines evil only in a human form without even considering how meteors, which are the primary threat to the earth's existence, can also be a form of a higher level; and not merely astronomical hazards. I have tons of films which depict natural phenomenon as miracles of God, but never a movie which shows the supreme death that can be caused by a meteor; as a phenomenon of pure & supreme evil. Brilliant...

Makes me think of how evil can be external, higher & supreme.
Also, makes me think of how God can be natural, fragile & within.

But all that is my quasi-philosophical hoo-haw! How can you not like a movie where 2 people are kissing while the whole world is coming to an end. It's philosophical, melodramatic and oh-so-French!

According to Luc;

The Fifth Element
"There is no future without it"


Lurv-LEEEEEE!!!
And I agree...

p.s.
If u are a Luc fan, something to look forward to.
Just for the Madonna voice-over alone!

.